Tuesday Night Bridge
I played bridge again last night. The Tuesday night game is known as a "Limited Masterpoint Game". In this case the game is limited to players with less than 300 masterpoints. Generally these games are more relaxed and less competitive. Everyone is still trying to do well, but it is expected that there will be more mistakes than the open games.
Oddly enough, sometimes it is harder for a good player to win these types of game. Conversely, it is sometimes easier for a poor player to do well. This is becuase mistakes are not spread evenly. For one reason or another, I made most of my mistakes last night against one pair. That pair did not play especially well or poorly, I just made more mistakes against them. Therefore, that pair had better scores against us than our other opponents, although they did not play any better or worse than anyone else. Having said that, over time the stronger players generally do better than the weaker players. There is just more variation week to week.
Once again, my partner showed up late. He had warned me that he had to drive back from San Francisco shortly before the game. Due to the rain, the commute was slow and he arrived just as the game was starting. Due to weather, schedule conflicts, and vacations, it was a pretty small game last night. There were 6 pairs playing. We placed second. We were in first place most of the night until the very end, when another pair nudged us out by 1/2 a point. I even had a big piece of chocolate cake just before the last round, hoping that the sugar rush would give me extra energy. Maybe I should have had two slices! Hmmm, this game could get fattening. :-)
We got .34 masterpoints for our efforts. Once again, it was alot of fun.
Oddly enough, sometimes it is harder for a good player to win these types of game. Conversely, it is sometimes easier for a poor player to do well. This is becuase mistakes are not spread evenly. For one reason or another, I made most of my mistakes last night against one pair. That pair did not play especially well or poorly, I just made more mistakes against them. Therefore, that pair had better scores against us than our other opponents, although they did not play any better or worse than anyone else. Having said that, over time the stronger players generally do better than the weaker players. There is just more variation week to week.
Once again, my partner showed up late. He had warned me that he had to drive back from San Francisco shortly before the game. Due to the rain, the commute was slow and he arrived just as the game was starting. Due to weather, schedule conflicts, and vacations, it was a pretty small game last night. There were 6 pairs playing. We placed second. We were in first place most of the night until the very end, when another pair nudged us out by 1/2 a point. I even had a big piece of chocolate cake just before the last round, hoping that the sugar rush would give me extra energy. Maybe I should have had two slices! Hmmm, this game could get fattening. :-)
We got .34 masterpoints for our efforts. Once again, it was alot of fun.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home