Creating Order

Sunday, August 13, 2006

Capitola Bike Ride

Sunday morning, I was feeling pretty good so I decided to take a medium length ride. Last Friday, I took a reasonably hard ride to Swanton hill and back. In spite of that, I still felt fairly strong as I began the ride. I rode up to the top of the university and then returned down Western Drive to Natural Bridges State Park. From there I followed the coast down to Capitola Village. I rode around Capitola a bit and then returned back home with a detour through the Santa Cruz downtown area. It added up to a 30 mile ride. I feel really good now, even though I did a 36 mile ride just two days before.

The ride up to the top of the University is a nice climb (750 feet gain in about 3 miles). I tried to relax my upper body as I climbed. It worked pretty well. I was still tired when I reached the top, but it was easier than previous climbs.

Generally, when I ride to Capitola, I rest on the benches just by the beach. Several months ago, Ginger told me about some benchs that are on the bluff overlooking Capitola Village. I decided to do some exploring to find the benches. I had a pretty good idea how to get to these benches, so I started up the hill to get to the top of the bluff. I missed a turn along the way and ended up on a small path along the edge of the bluff looking south along the coast. There were benches along this path, but I don't think these are the benches that Ginger was talking about, however it was a neat little path along the edge of the bluff that had some really nice views of the beaches to the south.

As I was wandering around this area, I came across a small goat. It looks like the owner has this goat to graze on his or her underbrush. I took a few pictures of the goat and talked to it some and the goat did not seem bothered at all. It seemed very happy munching away. Clearly not a vicious guard goat!




As I rode along the path some more, I came to some benches that overlook the village. I think these are the benches that Ginger was talking about. Or maybe she was talking about both sets of benches and I have just forgotten about it. Anyway, it was a nice sunny day and the views of the village, the wharf and the ocean were very pleasant. It made for a nice resting spot during my ride.


More of my pictures can be found here.

2 Comments:

  • At 9:43 PM, Blogger Ginger said…

    There seems to be a variety of different bench locations above Capitola. I've never seen the first set that you found, but have been to the second set.
    There is, however, a third set that is up the hill on the other side of the village. I usually walk up Stockton Avenue, and then climb the stairs up to Cliff Drive to those benches. I suppose you could ride up Wharf Road,turn left on Prospect Ave and head towards the benches.
    At any rate, it's a nice view of Capitola, Capitola Wharf, and a good place to rest for a bit.

     
  • At 9:52 AM, Blogger Steve said…

    If you are interested in the first set of benches, go down Bay/Monterey Avenue, turn left on Escalona, right on Central. Follow Central to edge of bluff. Turn left down path along the edge of the bluff. At the end of the bluff is where I saw the goat.

    Sometime I will try the third set of benches! Thanks

     

Post a Comment

<< Home