Wish You Were Here
I got a recommendation for any book by Jodi Picoult. I had heard of the author but did not know much about her. I did some research and found the following blurb "Her last twelve books have debuted at #1 on the New York Times bestsetller list".
The recommendation said to pick any book by this author, all were good. So I went to the library website. I picked her latest book and found that all of the books were already checked out. So I selected the second most recent book and checked out “Wish You Were Here”.
I really enjoyed this book. I was reading along and liked the story. I had a pretty good idea of the direction that it was going and had a general idea how the rest of the book would go. Then all of sudden, the book completely changed and went in a different direction.
The main character’s mother has Alzheimer’s disease and is in a retirement home. Her relationship with her mother was very similar to my relationship with my mother. After the dramatic change in the book, the main character rethinks her relationship with her mother and works hard to improve it. Hmm, this has me thinking of ways to improve my relationship with my mother.
Several other themes in the book seemed very similar to themes in my own life. It certainly has me thinking. It's very strange that a randomly selected book can have such an effect on me. I am planning to go back to the library, close my eyes and randomly select another book by this author, just to see what happens.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home