An Approach Shot
As I mentioned earlier, I am most comfortable with approach shots. I find it interesting that I don't even need to think about them much, I just throw the disc. Anyway, in this post I am going to try to document how I prepare to throw an approach shot. For me, an approach shot is between 50 feet and 175 feet. For these shots, I use my trusty KC Pro Roc (I love this disc).
1) I begin by figuring out where I want the disc to hit. I look at the slope and what the landing area is like (thick grass? hard packed dirt?) Depending on these factors, I will adjust where I want the disc to land.
2) If it is an open, flat throw, then I don't even have to think about the route, I just step up to my mark and throw the disc. Somehow, my subconscious calculates the speed, the direction and the angle of the shot. Sometimes, I am surprised, my subconscious will pick a different path that I would not have selected, however the disc usually ends up pretty close to the pin.
The strange thing is that my subconscious will not take obstacles into account. My subconscious will calculate a route, if there is a tree in the way, I will just throw right into the tree! Thus if there are obstacles present, I can't rely on my subconscious alone, I need to think about the route.
I think about this like a baseball throw. If I need to throw the ball to first base, I just try to throw at the first baseman's mitt, regardless of where I am in the field. I don't think about anything but throwing to the mitt, my subconscious will adjust the route of the throw. However if there is a runner in the way, I need to consciously adjust the throw to avoid hitting the runner. A much more difficult throw.
3) If the approach shot is uphill or downhill, I will think about putting a little more or a little less effort into the throw, and then let my subconscious take over.
4) I am pretty comfortable with backhand hyzers or straight approach shots. So if an obstacle forces me to one of these throws, I can just think about the route and let my subconscious take over.
5) If it is backhand anhyzer or forehand approach, I need to think about the route, think about my stance, the placement of my body, arm swing, etc. A much more awkward and inconsistent throw. Hopefully as I get more experience, these throws will become more automatic.
1) I begin by figuring out where I want the disc to hit. I look at the slope and what the landing area is like (thick grass? hard packed dirt?) Depending on these factors, I will adjust where I want the disc to land.
2) If it is an open, flat throw, then I don't even have to think about the route, I just step up to my mark and throw the disc. Somehow, my subconscious calculates the speed, the direction and the angle of the shot. Sometimes, I am surprised, my subconscious will pick a different path that I would not have selected, however the disc usually ends up pretty close to the pin.
The strange thing is that my subconscious will not take obstacles into account. My subconscious will calculate a route, if there is a tree in the way, I will just throw right into the tree! Thus if there are obstacles present, I can't rely on my subconscious alone, I need to think about the route.
I think about this like a baseball throw. If I need to throw the ball to first base, I just try to throw at the first baseman's mitt, regardless of where I am in the field. I don't think about anything but throwing to the mitt, my subconscious will adjust the route of the throw. However if there is a runner in the way, I need to consciously adjust the throw to avoid hitting the runner. A much more difficult throw.
3) If the approach shot is uphill or downhill, I will think about putting a little more or a little less effort into the throw, and then let my subconscious take over.
4) I am pretty comfortable with backhand hyzers or straight approach shots. So if an obstacle forces me to one of these throws, I can just think about the route and let my subconscious take over.
5) If it is backhand anhyzer or forehand approach, I need to think about the route, think about my stance, the placement of my body, arm swing, etc. A much more awkward and inconsistent throw. Hopefully as I get more experience, these throws will become more automatic.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home