It wasn't too bad ...
I got up this morning and decided to go on a bike ride up highway 1. I hoped to ride at a relatively quick pace. As I left, it was overcast and a little chilly, but not too bad. A few miles up highway1 it started to drizzle. Shortly afterwards, it turned into a steady rain, not a hard rain, but steady. The rain wasn't too bad, except it started to bead up on my glasses. That wasn't too bad, except when I wiped my glasses it just smeared them. The rain wasn't too bad, except my vest got soaked and it got cold. The cold wasn't too bad, except my nose started to run. My gloves have terrycloth on them, so I could wipe my nose. My gloves weren't too bad, except I couldn't wipe my glasses any more. (As an aside, I have found that I am a right handed wiper, it feels unnatural to wipe with my left hand? If I were a more talented wiper, I could wipe my nose with one hand and my glasses with another hand!) The things you learn on these rides.
Anyway, I got to Davenport and the weather had cleared up. I looked down at my bike computer and found that I had averaged 15.7 mph, which is really good for me. I usually average about 13 mph. It may not sound like much, but 2.7 mph is big increase on a bike. So I am feeling pretty good. The conditions could have been a little better (well, maybe alot better), but I had made good progress anyway.
Just past Davenport, there is a small side road that travels past the cement plant, called (oddly enough) Cement Plant Road! So I ride up the road, it is still kind of wet, but not too bad. I am crossing some railroad tracks and my front tire just slips completely out from under the bike. Down I go! Ouch! The railroad track got really slick due to the rain. I get up, see that there is a truck heading this way, so I quickly move my bike to the side of the road and sit down to catch my breath. My hip hurts a little bit, but not too bad. I am wearing leg warmers and arm warmers, so I can not see if there is any damage to my shoulder or elbow. They don't hurt and I don't really want to know anyway. The right handgrip on my handlebars is a little twisted, but not too bad.
After 5 minutes or so, I decide to return home. I get back on my bike and start riding for home. My right leg and hip hurt a little but not too bad. I ride past Davenport and then past Bonny Doon road and look up and see two cars coming towards me on both sides of the road. Oh no, just what I need! One car had pulled out to pass the other. I pull over to the outside edge of the bike lane. I look back at the oncoming cars and then I run over a nice sized rock! The back tire goes pffft! (No more of this "not too bad" stuff, I have had enough!) Luckily, there was cell phone coverage there, luckily my wife was at home and available to come pick me up, luckily it was not raining any more. Of course, I was sitting there in a soaked vest.
I got home and found that I had "road rash" on my right shoulder, elbow and hip. My hip hurts and I have been resting for the last few hours. I probably will not be making any more bike rides for the next week or so. But it shouldn't stop me from doing anything else that is not too strenous. Excuse the language, but this ride sucked! :-)
Anyway, I got to Davenport and the weather had cleared up. I looked down at my bike computer and found that I had averaged 15.7 mph, which is really good for me. I usually average about 13 mph. It may not sound like much, but 2.7 mph is big increase on a bike. So I am feeling pretty good. The conditions could have been a little better (well, maybe alot better), but I had made good progress anyway.
Just past Davenport, there is a small side road that travels past the cement plant, called (oddly enough) Cement Plant Road! So I ride up the road, it is still kind of wet, but not too bad. I am crossing some railroad tracks and my front tire just slips completely out from under the bike. Down I go! Ouch! The railroad track got really slick due to the rain. I get up, see that there is a truck heading this way, so I quickly move my bike to the side of the road and sit down to catch my breath. My hip hurts a little bit, but not too bad. I am wearing leg warmers and arm warmers, so I can not see if there is any damage to my shoulder or elbow. They don't hurt and I don't really want to know anyway. The right handgrip on my handlebars is a little twisted, but not too bad.
After 5 minutes or so, I decide to return home. I get back on my bike and start riding for home. My right leg and hip hurt a little but not too bad. I ride past Davenport and then past Bonny Doon road and look up and see two cars coming towards me on both sides of the road. Oh no, just what I need! One car had pulled out to pass the other. I pull over to the outside edge of the bike lane. I look back at the oncoming cars and then I run over a nice sized rock! The back tire goes pffft! (No more of this "not too bad" stuff, I have had enough!) Luckily, there was cell phone coverage there, luckily my wife was at home and available to come pick me up, luckily it was not raining any more. Of course, I was sitting there in a soaked vest.
I got home and found that I had "road rash" on my right shoulder, elbow and hip. My hip hurts and I have been resting for the last few hours. I probably will not be making any more bike rides for the next week or so. But it shouldn't stop me from doing anything else that is not too strenous. Excuse the language, but this ride sucked! :-)

2 Comments:
At 7:15 PM,
Anonymous said…
Steve,
I had such a good laugh from your account of the bike ride.
Thanks,
aund Lillian
At 10:44 PM,
Steve said…
Hi Aunt Lillian,
I am glad that you enjoyed it. I have been having a good time writing the blog for the last several months.
Steve
Post a Comment
<< Home