Creating Order

Tuesday, August 29, 2006

iTrip Testing


In an earlier post, I mentioned that I had bought an iTrip during our trip to San Francisco, but I had not had a chance to test it yet. The iTrip is a product that allows you to play music from your iPod over any FM radio. Specifically, it is designed to be used over car audio systems. You can adjust the FM frequency that the iTrip broadcasts over and then tune your radio to receive the same frequency. The trick is to find a frequency that is not being used by any radio stations.

Ben and I tested it out on Monday. It took some time to find a frequency that is unused. It seems like there is some station using just about every frequency. It took some experimentation, however we were able to find one frequency that did not seem to be used. We thought quality of the sound was pretty good. Not quite as good as CD quality, but as good as any FM stations. Niether of us are hi-fi experts, however we were pretty happy with the music quality.

Then of course, the frequency we chose on Monday had lots of interference on Tuesday. With some more experimentation, I was able to find another frequency that was not used. I am hoping that I do not need to find a new frequency every day to use. My hope is that I can find 2 or 3 frequencies and at least one of them will be usable on any given day. We'll see. More info on the product can be found here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home