Creating Order

Sunday, September 03, 2006

My 50th Birthday

Yesterday was my 50th birthday. It was a nice low-key day. Last weekend in SF was my real birthday celebration. We like to avoid the crowds during holiday weekends and I had tickets to the Giants last weekend, so we decided to go to SF last weekend instead of this weekend.

For my actual birthday, Karyn and I went on a bike ride up Highway 1 and part way down Swanton Road. It was a 30-mile bike ride for me and 35-mile bike ride for Karyn (she rode her bike from her house to my house). This turned out to be a good length for yesterday. It was long enough that I got a workout, but not so long that I was sore the rest of the day. The highlight of the ride was when a bee got into Karyn's jersey. I discreetly turned my back, but it was still entertaining to listen to Karyn's gyrations to try to get the bee out of her jersey. Hmm, she did not seem as amused as I was. :-) She ended up getting stung in the middle of her chest. Luckily the bee sting did not bother her too much for the rest of the ride. And of course, we concluded the ride with coffee and pastries at the local bakery.

In the afternoon, I wastched the first Duck football game of the year. Most of the first half was pretty close. It was an exciting tense game. The Ducks were playing well, but sloppy. (This is not completely unexpected during the first game of the year.) About mid-way through the second quarter, the team settled down and dominated the game. The Ducks ended up winning 48-10. I was able to relax during the second half. Hmm, I am not sure whether I enjoyed the tense struggle or the easy win part of the game better. Anyway, it was a good win and a fun game to watch.

In the evening, we had dinner and cake at home. Ben is home from school for the weekend and it was nice to spend time with him and my wife. All in all a very nice way to spend my 50th birthday. I am not very excited about turning 50, however I am just not thinking about it too much. I have been having a great time between jobs and I feel as healthy as I have ever felt. All of this bike riding is keeping me in good shape as well. Anyway, I do not really want to enter my fifties, but my life is pretty nice right now and I don't have much to complain about.

2 Comments:

  • At 9:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    That was FUNNY!!!

     
  • At 7:43 AM, Blogger Steve said…

    While I found it funny as well, I am really glad that you did not have an allergic reaction to the bee sting! That would not have been pretty.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home