Creating Order

Thursday, August 31, 2006

Third and Fourth Jail Visit

Somehow I never got around to posting about my 3rd Jail Visit, so this post will include both visits. Since the 3rd visit occurred over 3 weeks ago the details are a little fuzzy, so my comments will be brief.

During my second visit only 3 inmates attended. In the following week, I wondered if the visits were really worthwhile. Of the three inmates who attended, only one seemed very engaged. It seemed like the other two were only there as a diversion. Is it really worth my time if the inmates are not really interested? I was considering whether I wanted to quit, then I found out that FCC needs volunteers during August. This is prime vacation time, so I signed up for two visits this month, on the 8th and 29th. These may be my last visits to the county jail.

As I entered the jail for my third visit, I was just hoping that the inmates would be engaged in the session. I do not care if only 3 attended, but I wanted them to be involved in the session. For this session, I was to lead the first portion. Brief introductions, a time to share stories and a group prayer. Then I would introduce the first song. (Thankfully I did not have to lead the song, just sing along.)

For this meeting, 7 or 8 inmates attended and they were very involved. I told a short personal story and the inmates jumped right in. Every one of them shared a story from their life. And they were very passionate about it. Their joy or grief was very heartfelt. Two of the three inmates from the last session were back again. Both were very involved this time. One of them was the one that I did not think was involved at all in the 2nd session. He participated during the session and came up and thanked me for coming after the session. Hmm, maybe these meetings are important to the inmates after all.

Last Tuesday, I arrived at the county jail for my fourth visit. The guitar player for this meeting had also been at the 3rd session. We met in the parking lot and had a casual conversation as we entered the jail lobby. Dave, the FCC Minister, had just returned from vacation that day and was in the lobby waiting for us. As we entered, Dave told us that he had an urgent meeting back at the church and asked us if we could handle the meeting between the two of us! We looked at each other, "Uhhhhh, I guess so." Dave handed me some materials and scooted out the door, "Thanks a lot, you guys will do great."

As we are walking into the jail, we divided up the service. The guitar player took the songs and the reading (he had already prepared for it). I took the rest. Generally, I am given a small portion of the service the previous week and I have the week to prepare for what I am going to say. This time I am going to have to ad-lib most of it. Hopefully, the inmates will be receptive to my stumbling around.

Now let me ask you a question. Six months ago, if you were told that I would be leading a religious service in a jail, what would your reaction be? Could you keep a straight face? I know couldn't. This is Twilight Zone material. I don't even go to church that often. Oh well, I will just do the best that I can.

This session there were 10 inmates. Like the last session they seemed very engaged. Four of them were Hispanic. Of the Hispanics, one was bi-lingual and the other three did not speak much English. I do not know how much they understood, but they seemed very interested. Each wanted to share their stories. They would tell their stories in Spanish and the bi-lingual one would translate. The guitar player brought copies of the reading in both English and Spanish. They followed along in Spanish and had some interesting comments on the reading. The English-speaking inmates were very involved as well, sharing their stories and commenting on how the reading applied to their lives. Oh, everyone was also very involved in the music. Not all of us are good singers, but all of us sang, some with great gusto. One of the inmates likes to play guitar. He borrowed the guitar and played soft background music during the reading.

After the meeting, I am thinking that I did not do a very good job, but I got through it. No one seemed too upset at anything that I said or did. Then 5 or 6 of the inmates came up and thanked me for coming. Each of the Hispanics came up to me, shook my hand and gave me a warm hug. There is one inmate who has been in the last 3 sessions that I have been in. He has a 28-year sentence. He thanked me for coming and said, "I hope you keep coming, what you are doing is working." Wow, I was and still am speechless...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home