Creating Order

Tuesday, January 04, 2011

January 4, 2010 - Early solo round at Dela

This was just a casual solo round. I played holes 5-19. I played pretty well, nothing spectacular but pretty solid golf. Last week, I went through a period where I played a lot of golf during a relatively short period. So I took the weekend and Monday off. I felt pretty refreshed this morning. It was cold when I started (38 degrees). The odd thing is that it was clear and sunny but did not warm up much during the round. It was 40 degrees when I finished. Usually, it warms up to 45 to 50 degrees by the time I am done.

Mid-way through the round I tried experimenting with left hand throws. I have been thinking about this for a while. At home, I have taken some practice swings and the left hand forehand feels pretty uncomfortable, but the left hand backhand does not feel too bad. I think there is some potential there, I think I could learn a left hand backhand fairly easily. Plus, I have a much better idea of good technique than when I started, so I will not have to un-learn bad habits.

This morning, I went to the tee of a long open hole. I threw 25 left handed backhand drives. And ... the results were horrible! It was comical how bad my throws were. Luckily, there was no one around to see how truly bad they were. The first few barely went 20 feet. By the end, I was probably up to 40 feet, but they were all over the place (right, left, high, low, everywhere).

I am not sure where I will go from here. Part of me says that I would like to devote a week to working on my left hand throws. Every morning train for an hour or so. I bet I would make huge progress in that week. The other part of me realizes that I have a loooong way to go with my left hand throws. I have done everything with my right hand my whole life. I should not expect to be very coordinated or smooth with my left hand anytime soon.

As it turns out, I am having a minor medical procedure this Friday and will not be able to play disc golf for the next two weeks. Tomorrow morning (Wednesday) I am playing a round with Simon. On Thursday, I might play some more with left hand drives and then I need to shut it down for two weeks. After the break, I will make a decision whether I want to continue this futile task.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home