Back In The Saddle
Yesterday, I went on my first bike ride since my last escapade. It was warm and beautiful but pretty windy. I rode up Highway 1 past Davenport, partway up Swanton Road. Altogether it was a 30 mile trip. I kept a steady pace for most of the ride, a little faster down wind, and slower against the wind. I was tired by the end of the ride, I have been slacking the last month or so. I would like to work on my fitness again, so that I would feel comfortable to make a 60 mile ride.
As an aside, I have made an uneducated observation that it gets very windy and gusty around the changes of seasons (March 21, June 21, September 21, December 21). In Southern California, we used to call these winds, Santana's. These are gusty strong winds that usually blow in the opposite direction than you would expect. I don't remember anyone using the term "Santana winds" in Northern California, but it seems to be the same affect. In summer in Santa Cruz, you would expect the winds to come down the coast from Pigeon Point into Santa Cruz. Yesterday there were strong gusty winds in the opposite direction. Anyway, my observation is that these conditions happen around the changes of the seasons. Once again, I have never read this, it is just my observation. It could be completely coincidental, it may happen at other times of the year as well.
I did not mind the wind too much since I did not want to go too fast. I am still sore, so I wanted to take it slowly and carefully (especially around railroad tracks). I sure did not want to fall again. I was really nervous about crossing the railroad tracks, so I slowed way down and crossed the railroad tracks very carefully. As I mentioned earlier, I am still sore from my fall. It's a little strange. My shoulder is mostly healed over, but my hip still has a deep purple bruise. Yet, by the end of the ride, my hip felt fine and my shoulder was pretty sore. By today, my shoulder feels fine and my hip is sore if I move it the wrong way.
Anyway, it was really nice to get back on the bike again. The weather was beautiful and it was a vey pleasant ride. I need to get more serious about riding so that I can get into better shape.
As an aside, I have made an uneducated observation that it gets very windy and gusty around the changes of seasons (March 21, June 21, September 21, December 21). In Southern California, we used to call these winds, Santana's. These are gusty strong winds that usually blow in the opposite direction than you would expect. I don't remember anyone using the term "Santana winds" in Northern California, but it seems to be the same affect. In summer in Santa Cruz, you would expect the winds to come down the coast from Pigeon Point into Santa Cruz. Yesterday there were strong gusty winds in the opposite direction. Anyway, my observation is that these conditions happen around the changes of the seasons. Once again, I have never read this, it is just my observation. It could be completely coincidental, it may happen at other times of the year as well.
I did not mind the wind too much since I did not want to go too fast. I am still sore, so I wanted to take it slowly and carefully (especially around railroad tracks). I sure did not want to fall again. I was really nervous about crossing the railroad tracks, so I slowed way down and crossed the railroad tracks very carefully. As I mentioned earlier, I am still sore from my fall. It's a little strange. My shoulder is mostly healed over, but my hip still has a deep purple bruise. Yet, by the end of the ride, my hip felt fine and my shoulder was pretty sore. By today, my shoulder feels fine and my hip is sore if I move it the wrong way.
Anyway, it was really nice to get back on the bike again. The weather was beautiful and it was a vey pleasant ride. I need to get more serious about riding so that I can get into better shape.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home