Long Ride
Yesterday morning, I went for a long bike ride. When I got home, my wife commented that I had been gone for a long time. I replied, "Yeah, I went for a 70 mile ride." She looked blankly at me and asked "Why?" Hmm, for the last 15 miles, I had been asking myself the same question!
When I left in the morning, I wanted to take a long ride. I had not ridden much in the previous two weeks. The last week of work had been pretty hectic and stressful and I just wanted to get out on the bike and blow off some energy. I did not plan to ride particularly fast, I just wanted to go a long way. I started out actually hoping that I could make 70 miles. I was not quite sure how well I would do, so I was prepared to cut it short if I got tired.
It was kind of chilly when I started (low 50's), but it warmed up quickly. It was nice that there was hardly any wind at all. Plus it was sunny and clear the whole way. I went up highway 1 to Pescadero and the coastal views were spectacular. I felt good, so I just kept going until I hit Pescadero. I was pretty sore by the time I hit the 50-mile mark. The last stretch was not too much fun and I was really glad by the time I got home.
In hindsight, there were probably two reasons I went for a such a long ride. I was talking to a guy at work last week. A few summers ago, he took a ride over the Rocky Mountains. He averaged 130 miles a day for something like 2 weeks. I do not believe that I will ever take such a ride, but I would like to take a 100-mile ride some day. Maybe next year? The second reason, is that I wanted to reach a new milestone this year. I have made several 60-mile rides this year, but I have taken 60-mile bike rides in years past. It is true that I am in much better shape than previous years and that the 60-mile rides were much easier this year, but it was not a new accomplishment. I have never ridden 70-miles in a day before.
Having said that, I did not feel a great sense of accomplishment after the ride. I just felt really sore for the rest of the day. But I feel much better today. I did a bunch of chores today and do not feel bad at all. And now I am feeling really glad that I made the ride. I have a fear that the rains are about to hit and I will go several months without much riding and I feel good that I made this accomplishment before the season ended.
When I left in the morning, I wanted to take a long ride. I had not ridden much in the previous two weeks. The last week of work had been pretty hectic and stressful and I just wanted to get out on the bike and blow off some energy. I did not plan to ride particularly fast, I just wanted to go a long way. I started out actually hoping that I could make 70 miles. I was not quite sure how well I would do, so I was prepared to cut it short if I got tired.
It was kind of chilly when I started (low 50's), but it warmed up quickly. It was nice that there was hardly any wind at all. Plus it was sunny and clear the whole way. I went up highway 1 to Pescadero and the coastal views were spectacular. I felt good, so I just kept going until I hit Pescadero. I was pretty sore by the time I hit the 50-mile mark. The last stretch was not too much fun and I was really glad by the time I got home.
In hindsight, there were probably two reasons I went for a such a long ride. I was talking to a guy at work last week. A few summers ago, he took a ride over the Rocky Mountains. He averaged 130 miles a day for something like 2 weeks. I do not believe that I will ever take such a ride, but I would like to take a 100-mile ride some day. Maybe next year? The second reason, is that I wanted to reach a new milestone this year. I have made several 60-mile rides this year, but I have taken 60-mile bike rides in years past. It is true that I am in much better shape than previous years and that the 60-mile rides were much easier this year, but it was not a new accomplishment. I have never ridden 70-miles in a day before.
Having said that, I did not feel a great sense of accomplishment after the ride. I just felt really sore for the rest of the day. But I feel much better today. I did a bunch of chores today and do not feel bad at all. And now I am feeling really glad that I made the ride. I have a fear that the rains are about to hit and I will go several months without much riding and I feel good that I made this accomplishment before the season ended.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home