Creating Order

Saturday, October 14, 2006

Pescadero Road Ride

Last weekend, I went for a short ride up to Davenport and back with a couple of friends. We rode at a pretty good pace, but I was just exhausted at the end of the ride. I was pretty disappointed with my ride. Just the week before, I had ridden 60 miles and felt pretty good afterwards. This ride was only 20 miles and I was really sore. I decided that I was probably burned out from bike riding. I have ridden alot in the last 9 months or so. I decided that I should probably take a month or two break. Or maybe I should just take an occasional mountain bike ride. Almost all of my bike rides this year have been road bike rides.

So about mid-week, my friend Bob calls me up and wants to go for a ride up by Pascadero. He has found this great road that he wants to show me. It has been about 2 months since I have had a chance to ride with Bob, so I decide to ride with him. He has not had much of a chance to ride recently, so he does not want to ride too fast. This is fine with me, since I am still feeling kind of burned out on riding. I invite another friend and the three of us plan to ride Saturday morning.


This morning, we drove to the town of Pescadero. As we started out, it was pretty cloudy and cool, but not much wind. It made for good riding conditions. It was pretty chilly at the top of the hill, but I was wearing enough clothing that I was pretty comfortable for the entire ride. It ended up being a reasonably tough 28 mile ride. There were two moderate climbs and 1 big climb. My legs are pretty sore after this ride. However the last 10 miles were great. It is a long downhill after the tough climb. The downhill starts out pretty steep, but then becomes just a long gentle downhill. It rolls through the woods and meadows. It is a very smooth road with no potholes and there were hardly any cars on the road. We rode down one stretch that ran along a river and there were some stunning homes overlooking the river. It was a great stretch of road to ride down and well worth the climbing to get there. My only regret is that I wish I had learned of this route before my time off rather than after.

Each of us had a great time on this ride. The other two riders did not know each other, but got along very well. One is an emergency room doctor and the other is a cop, so they had some great stories to tell. We plan to ride together again in the future. One of the other riders knows of some great rides in south Santa Cruz county that we want to explore. At this point, I don't feel burnt out on riding at all. I am excited about going on future rides and exploring some different routes. I am thankful that Bob called and talked me into riding again. Oh, I should also mention that while Bob has not ridden much recently, he had no problems keeping up with us.

Here is a Google Maps page of our route.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home