Creating Order

Saturday, February 24, 2007

Best Actor

The nominees are Lenardo DiCaprio (The Departed), Ryan Gosling (Half Nelson), Peter O'Toole (Venus), Will Smith (The Pursuit of Happyness) and Forrest Whitaker (The Last King of Scotland). Once again, I did not see Blood Diamond, so DiCaprio is out of luck for my awards. I also did not see The Pursuit of Happyness, so Will Smith also loses out.

O'Toole is my sentimental favorite, however I just was not too impressed with his performance. Actually, in all fairness I don't think the role was that demanding. O'Toole did a fine job, but I don't think it was Best Actor worthy.

Last night we watched Half Nelson. I don't think it was a great movie, but I was really impressed with Gosling's performance. I don't remember seeing Gosling previously, but he certainly deserved this nomination.

In the end though, I think Forrest Whitaker did the best job. His role as Idi Amin was certainly very demanding. In the earlier scenes, Amin was portrayed as an innocent and almost playful leader. As the movie goes on, Amin becomes more mature and more cynical. In the end, Amin develops a deep paranoia. Whitaker was able to handle these transitions in a very beliveable way. An impressive performance.

Deserves the Oscar: Forrest Whitaker
Will Win the Oscar: Forrest Whitaker (I think, O'Toole may sneak in as a sentimental favorite)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home