350 or bust!
Recently I have been posting on a disc golf message board. This board is filled with people who analyze and critique disc golf technique. I have been exchanging messages and they believe that they can add roughly 100 feet to the length of my drives in a relatively short period of time! The weakest part of my game is my backhand drives. Currently, they go to about 250 feet. They argue that it is relatively easy to get that number to 350 feet. They believe that most anyone can get that far just by not doing anything drastically wrong. Adding distance after 350 feet is a different matter. It requires subtle adjustments to your form.
Anyway, we put together a plan to improve my game. This weekend I will post a video of several of my drives. They will critique and identify my worst flaw or two. Beginning on Monday, I will go to a field and spend an hour working on that flaw. After a few days, I will post a new video. Either I will have fixed that flaw or I will be stuck and I need more advice. I am planning to get in 3 to 4 days of practice a week. I hope to keep doing this until I can throw a disc 350 feet!
They suggest that I put my drivers and mid-range discs away. I should begin my practice with putters! They feel that driving putters is a good way to develop good technique. After you have success with your putters, then you start mixing back in mid-ranges and eventually drivers.
This would be huge for my game. At the course where I play, most holes are between 250 and 350 feet. Currently, I can not reach most holes. With this improvement, not only could I reach almost all of the holes, I could use a mid-range or fairway driver to get to the holes (Mid-range and fairway drivers are much easier to control than distance drivers). Or maybe even putters. Some of them can drive putters to 300 feet.
Hmm, that is not exactly true. Most of the holes require a drive that goes 250 to 350 feet and turns right or left or goes up or down or ... So getting a 350 foot drive is the first step, then I need to learn to throw drives that go 350 feet and turn in different directions.
It should also be noted that some people never get to 350 feet. Also, it could take a great deal of time. Sometimes, it takes a fundamental change to your technique.
Anyway, I am excited about trying this and seeing where it goes.
Anyway, we put together a plan to improve my game. This weekend I will post a video of several of my drives. They will critique and identify my worst flaw or two. Beginning on Monday, I will go to a field and spend an hour working on that flaw. After a few days, I will post a new video. Either I will have fixed that flaw or I will be stuck and I need more advice. I am planning to get in 3 to 4 days of practice a week. I hope to keep doing this until I can throw a disc 350 feet!
They suggest that I put my drivers and mid-range discs away. I should begin my practice with putters! They feel that driving putters is a good way to develop good technique. After you have success with your putters, then you start mixing back in mid-ranges and eventually drivers.
This would be huge for my game. At the course where I play, most holes are between 250 and 350 feet. Currently, I can not reach most holes. With this improvement, not only could I reach almost all of the holes, I could use a mid-range or fairway driver to get to the holes (Mid-range and fairway drivers are much easier to control than distance drivers). Or maybe even putters. Some of them can drive putters to 300 feet.
Hmm, that is not exactly true. Most of the holes require a drive that goes 250 to 350 feet and turns right or left or goes up or down or ... So getting a 350 foot drive is the first step, then I need to learn to throw drives that go 350 feet and turn in different directions.
It should also be noted that some people never get to 350 feet. Also, it could take a great deal of time. Sometimes, it takes a fundamental change to your technique.
Anyway, I am excited about trying this and seeing where it goes.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home