Cattle Drive and Deer
Today I completed a 40-mile ride. I rode to the end of Swanton road. Over Swanton hill and down to a state park on Highway 1. Then back over the hill and back home. At the start, I felt really strong and rode to Davenport quickly. Probably too quickly, I slowed down considerably by the time I got home. My legs are pretty sore. Having said that, this has always been a hard ride for me. And my conditioning is pretty close to where I was mid-season last year. Since it is only the first week of March, I am pleased with my progress this year.
We went out to dinner with some friends on Thursday night. During the dinner, we discussed how lucky we are to live in this area. We take it for granted until we visit other areas. I thought about it alot on my ride today. Highway 1 is very pretty, with dramatic views of the ocean. On the way back, I saw several cowboys and a cowgirl herding about 150 head of cattle. There were also a few dogs scampering around. Where else can you see that on one side of the road and a 180-degree view of the ocean on the other? Swanton Road wanders through a very picturesque valley with farms and woods. It has very little traffic and is very peaceful. On the climb on Swanton hill, a group of deer crossed the road just in front of me. (I was going so slow that they did not seem threatened at all!) After climbing Swanton hill, I took a break at Greyhound Rock State Park. I was able to sit on a bench overlooking the ocean; watching the waves crashing against this huge rock. When I think about this, my legs don't seem so sore. (Or maybe the Ibuprofen is kicking in?)
I think it is time to start adding some hills. Today's ride had over 2200 feet of elevation gain, however that is deceiving. Highway 1 is mostly rolling hills, where you can get some momentum going down one hill and coast part way up the next hill. It does not have any extended climbs. The only climbs are going up Swanton hill (about 1 mile on each side.) Assuming it does not rain on Tuesday, I will either ride up to the top of the University or up Empire Grade a ways.
We went out to dinner with some friends on Thursday night. During the dinner, we discussed how lucky we are to live in this area. We take it for granted until we visit other areas. I thought about it alot on my ride today. Highway 1 is very pretty, with dramatic views of the ocean. On the way back, I saw several cowboys and a cowgirl herding about 150 head of cattle. There were also a few dogs scampering around. Where else can you see that on one side of the road and a 180-degree view of the ocean on the other? Swanton Road wanders through a very picturesque valley with farms and woods. It has very little traffic and is very peaceful. On the climb on Swanton hill, a group of deer crossed the road just in front of me. (I was going so slow that they did not seem threatened at all!) After climbing Swanton hill, I took a break at Greyhound Rock State Park. I was able to sit on a bench overlooking the ocean; watching the waves crashing against this huge rock. When I think about this, my legs don't seem so sore. (Or maybe the Ibuprofen is kicking in?)
I think it is time to start adding some hills. Today's ride had over 2200 feet of elevation gain, however that is deceiving. Highway 1 is mostly rolling hills, where you can get some momentum going down one hill and coast part way up the next hill. It does not have any extended climbs. The only climbs are going up Swanton hill (about 1 mile on each side.) Assuming it does not rain on Tuesday, I will either ride up to the top of the University or up Empire Grade a ways.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home