Training - Day 1
Last weekend, I posted a video of my backhand drives. I got suggestions of 15 things to fix in my form! Several of the suggestions were closely related. If I fix one thing, it will probably address a few of the items.
Clearly I can not fix everything at once. So I picked 3 or 4 things to begin work on. I headed out this morning (with my new putters) to the field to work on these things. It was a mess! Either my technique was really awkward or I would revert back to my old form.
So I decided to work on only slowing down my arm pull. I am supposed to start slowly and then accelerate toward the end. Seems pretty simple right? Still a mess.
Finally I decided to not pull my arm at all. Shift my weight, Rotate my hips, Rotate my shoulders and just let my arm follow. This finally worked. It seemed to improve my form and my distance almost immediately. Before my putters were going from 150 to 180 feet (with a run up). From a standstill I threw several over 200 feet! I want to burn this into my muscle memory, so I will probably practice this drill for several days before I move on to the next item in my list.
Clearly I can not fix everything at once. So I picked 3 or 4 things to begin work on. I headed out this morning (with my new putters) to the field to work on these things. It was a mess! Either my technique was really awkward or I would revert back to my old form.
So I decided to work on only slowing down my arm pull. I am supposed to start slowly and then accelerate toward the end. Seems pretty simple right? Still a mess.
Finally I decided to not pull my arm at all. Shift my weight, Rotate my hips, Rotate my shoulders and just let my arm follow. This finally worked. It seemed to improve my form and my distance almost immediately. Before my putters were going from 150 to 180 feet (with a run up). From a standstill I threw several over 200 feet! I want to burn this into my muscle memory, so I will probably practice this drill for several days before I move on to the next item in my list.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home