Creating Order

Monday, February 28, 2011

Post-Oscar Comments

We watched the Academy Awards last night. I was pretty pleased with the winners. It was about what I was expecting. I got the Best Documentary wrong, but I am not too surprised about that, since I had only seen one of the films.

Interestingly enough, the most popular documentary (Waiting For Superman) was not even nominated. My first thought was that while it was popular, maybe it was not an especially good film. Or maybe it was too biased. Then I saw that it got the Best Documentary award from the Sundance Film Festival. So I am not sure why it did not get nominated. Another movie to put on our Netflix list.

We watched Animal Kingdom to see Jacki Weaver, since she was nominated for Best Supporting Actress. I had not heard about the movie and thus did not expect much, but I was interested to see Weaver's performance. Wow, it was a great movie. We were blown away by it. We both think it should have made the Best Picture list. I don't think it is better than The King's Speech, but it is right up there. I would have put it in my top 3 or 4 movies of the year. It is that good. We rarely see a movie twice, but we kept the DVD so we can watch it again.

Oh yeah, Jacki Weaver was great in the film. She certainly deserves the nomination. Again, I don't think she was better than Melissa Leo or Hailee Stenfield, but I would have put her third. I had never heard of Weaver. I have since found out that she is one of the leading actresses in Australia. She usually plays on Australian TV programs or performs in plays in Australia. So American's rarely see her. But she did an outstanding job in this role.

All in all, I think this was a pretty good year for movies. I really liked True Grit, The Fighter, Winter's Bone, The King's Speech and Animal Kingdom. I did not enjoy Black Swan or The Social Network as much, but I recognize that they were excellent films as well. That is 7 great movies in one year. On top of that The Kids Are All Right and Toy Story 3 were very good movies too.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home