Best Picture (and Best Director)
I always pair the Best Picture and Best Director. I don't know if this is right or wrong, but that is what I always do.
The nominees are: Babel (Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu), The Departed (Martin Scorsese), Letters from Iwo Jima (Clint Eastwood), Little Miss Sunshine (directors not nominated), The Queen (Stephen Frears) and Paul Greengrass (United 93 not nominated).
Let me start out with saying that I think the two best movies were not nominated. I thought Little Children and Bobby were better than the 5 nominated movies. I am not surprised that Bobby was not nominated, the critics did not like it much. I am a little disappointed that Little Children did not get nominated.
I did not see United 93 and it is puzzling to me how Greenglass got nominated if his movie not one of the 5 best movies? Anyway, Greenglass is not getting my vote.
The other five movies are excellent, but they are hard to compare since they are very different types of movies. So I will make three lists, the movies I enjoyed the most, the movies that I think were the best and who I think will win.
Enjoyed the Most: I would probably have The Queen and Little Miss Sunshine tied for first. I thought Little Miss Sunshine was hilarious. I am not sure why, but I just really enjoyed The Queen. I enjoyed Babel, but I was not as emotionally involved as the first two movies. The Departed and Letters From Iwo Jima were both fine movies, but I found them to be a bit grueling. The violence in each wore on me after awhile.
Best Movies: The Queen, The Departed, Letters From Iwo Jima, Babel, Little Miss Sunshine. I am not sure that I can rationalize this order, it is just my gut feeling at the moment. It could change at any time.
What will Win: I think "The Departed" and Scorsese will win the Oscar's this year. Scorsese has made so many truly great movies, it is time to give him the award that he deserved so long ago. Although I don't think "The Departed" is the best movie, I do not have a problem with Scorsese getting the award this year.
So there are my choices for the major awards this year. Note that I have not read any of the news, so I don't know which way the voters are leaning or believed to be leaning. So I could be completely off on my bets.
The nominees are: Babel (Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu), The Departed (Martin Scorsese), Letters from Iwo Jima (Clint Eastwood), Little Miss Sunshine (directors not nominated), The Queen (Stephen Frears) and Paul Greengrass (United 93 not nominated).
Let me start out with saying that I think the two best movies were not nominated. I thought Little Children and Bobby were better than the 5 nominated movies. I am not surprised that Bobby was not nominated, the critics did not like it much. I am a little disappointed that Little Children did not get nominated.
I did not see United 93 and it is puzzling to me how Greenglass got nominated if his movie not one of the 5 best movies? Anyway, Greenglass is not getting my vote.
The other five movies are excellent, but they are hard to compare since they are very different types of movies. So I will make three lists, the movies I enjoyed the most, the movies that I think were the best and who I think will win.
Enjoyed the Most: I would probably have The Queen and Little Miss Sunshine tied for first. I thought Little Miss Sunshine was hilarious. I am not sure why, but I just really enjoyed The Queen. I enjoyed Babel, but I was not as emotionally involved as the first two movies. The Departed and Letters From Iwo Jima were both fine movies, but I found them to be a bit grueling. The violence in each wore on me after awhile.
Best Movies: The Queen, The Departed, Letters From Iwo Jima, Babel, Little Miss Sunshine. I am not sure that I can rationalize this order, it is just my gut feeling at the moment. It could change at any time.
What will Win: I think "The Departed" and Scorsese will win the Oscar's this year. Scorsese has made so many truly great movies, it is time to give him the award that he deserved so long ago. Although I don't think "The Departed" is the best movie, I do not have a problem with Scorsese getting the award this year.
So there are my choices for the major awards this year. Note that I have not read any of the news, so I don't know which way the voters are leaning or believed to be leaning. So I could be completely off on my bets.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home