Creating Order

Sunday, May 06, 2007

Weekend in SF


I had tickets to see the Giants last Friday night, so I invited Ben to go to Pac Bell Park to see the Giants take on the Philadelphia Phillies. I had planned to take pictures, but I left the camera in the car. Ooops. We had a great time at the ballpark. It was a well-played, exciting game. The score went back and forth and the in the end, the Giants won.

The next morning, we got up and went to play disc golf at the new course in Golden Gate Park. See if this sounds familiar, I left the camera in Ben's apartment! The pictures that you see here are from the San Francisco Disc Golf Club's web site.


For at least several years there has been a 12 hole course in Golden Gate Park that had fallen into dis-repair. In the last year or so, the club has received approval to renovate the course and enlarge it to a 18 hole course. Over the last year or so, the club has been raising funds and holding work parties to improve the course. In fact a friend of mine from Santa Cruz has gone up to help at one of the work parties and the local Santa Cruz club (De Laveaga Disc Golf Club) has sponsored the 18th hole.

Ben and I really liked the course. It winds in and out of the woods. There were a few holes which went through some meadows, but for the most part, it goes through wooded areas. Most holes put a premium on accuracy as there is a pretty narrow passage through the trees. The picture below shows a typical start to a hole. If you stray off of the path, you can quickly get into some fairly dense wooded areas. It can be quite a challenge to make your way out. On the other hand, the ground was fairly clear. Thus it usually was not too hard to find our discs.


The other nice thing about the course is that there was a wide variety of challenges in the course. A few short holes where you need to be highly accurate, a few longer holes where distance is more important that accuracy. Some holes turn right, some holes turn left, some holes go up and some holes go down. Finally the weather was great, sunny and warm. Ben and I had a great time. In fact, we had a great time at both the game and the disc golfing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home