Disc Golf Training - Some Lessons Learned So Far
Message board expertise
I have been working with some people on a disc golf message board. They really know what they are talking about. Several times they have given me advice that didn't make complete sense to me, but I have discovered that it is just best to follow their instructions. Like most people, I want to trust my instincts. My instincts say that I don't need to start with putters (I can learn just as well with fairway drivers), I don't need to do the standstill drill (I can learn the same principles with a one step throw), I don't need to work from the release back (I can work on my worst flaw and leave the rest of my technique the same). In every case, my instincts were wrong. Their help has been invaluable.
Use of Videos
I have been taking videos of my throws every few days. It is not anything elaborate. I am just using a simple point-and-click camera. But it has been invaluable. I can post the videos on the message board and get great advice. Even when I don't post it to the message board, I will check it myself. I often find what I am doing wrong. I will be on the field and think I am making a good change (getting my weight forward, better arm speed, a flat follow through), then I go home and look at the video and find that I am not doing it correctly. I would have never known if I had not taken the video. This technology has helped me greatly.
Well Defined Plan?
When I started, I thought I could make a well defined plan to improve my throws. I would get help to identify my worst flaws. Then I would correct my flaws one at a time. After working a few days/weeks on 3 or 4 flaws, I would be done!
It has not worked out that way at all. The most important part of the throw is the release of the disc. So I began working on a drill that isolates the release. After I got better at the release, I discovered that the rest of my throw does not set me up in a position to make a good release.
So I have to completely rebuild my throw. I start with the release. Next I work on the swing of the arm to get in position to release the disc. Then I need to work on pulling back the arm to get into position to start the swing of the arm. Then I need to work on getting the right hip motion coordinated with my shoulders coordinated with my arm. Then I need to work on my foot work. This all teaches me how to throw my putters straight.
Then I need to learn to throw midranges, fairway drivers and drivers. Then get all my discs to turn right or left. Then be able to throw uphill and downhill. Then throw in windy conditions. sigh ...
It has turned out to be more that I fix a flaw then I see where I am and determine what to fix next.
I have been working with some people on a disc golf message board. They really know what they are talking about. Several times they have given me advice that didn't make complete sense to me, but I have discovered that it is just best to follow their instructions. Like most people, I want to trust my instincts. My instincts say that I don't need to start with putters (I can learn just as well with fairway drivers), I don't need to do the standstill drill (I can learn the same principles with a one step throw), I don't need to work from the release back (I can work on my worst flaw and leave the rest of my technique the same). In every case, my instincts were wrong. Their help has been invaluable.
Use of Videos
I have been taking videos of my throws every few days. It is not anything elaborate. I am just using a simple point-and-click camera. But it has been invaluable. I can post the videos on the message board and get great advice. Even when I don't post it to the message board, I will check it myself. I often find what I am doing wrong. I will be on the field and think I am making a good change (getting my weight forward, better arm speed, a flat follow through), then I go home and look at the video and find that I am not doing it correctly. I would have never known if I had not taken the video. This technology has helped me greatly.
Well Defined Plan?
When I started, I thought I could make a well defined plan to improve my throws. I would get help to identify my worst flaws. Then I would correct my flaws one at a time. After working a few days/weeks on 3 or 4 flaws, I would be done!
It has not worked out that way at all. The most important part of the throw is the release of the disc. So I began working on a drill that isolates the release. After I got better at the release, I discovered that the rest of my throw does not set me up in a position to make a good release.
So I have to completely rebuild my throw. I start with the release. Next I work on the swing of the arm to get in position to release the disc. Then I need to work on pulling back the arm to get into position to start the swing of the arm. Then I need to work on getting the right hip motion coordinated with my shoulders coordinated with my arm. Then I need to work on my foot work. This all teaches me how to throw my putters straight.
Then I need to learn to throw midranges, fairway drivers and drivers. Then get all my discs to turn right or left. Then be able to throw uphill and downhill. Then throw in windy conditions. sigh ...
It has turned out to be more that I fix a flaw then I see where I am and determine what to fix next.

3 Comments:
At 7:44 PM,
jb2000 said…
Why should I read some rambling comments about your frisby release when google can tell me more? Your visit to the pigs was more entertaining than the endless pictures of quilts. Besides I always knew you had some relation ship with pigs.
At 8:48 AM,
jb2000 said…
Your relationship with pigs was demonstrated at an early age because your room always looked like a sty.
Dad
At 10:12 AM,
Steve said…
Sheesh - It is clear that my insightful disc golf comments are wasted on you!
Hey, there were some pretty cool pigs at the fair!
Steve
Post a Comment
<< Home